Building Department / Fire Prevention Office
1225 Main Street
Sebastian, Florida 32958
Open 8:00 A.M. TO 4:30 P.M., Monday through Friday
Closed From 12:00PM to 1:00PM
UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE, THE BUILDING DEPARTMENT IS ACCEPTING PERMIT APPLICATIONS AND PLAN DOCUMENTS THROUGH A DROP BOX AT THE BUILDING DEPARTMENT. SMALLER PROJECTS CAN ALSO BE SUBMITTED BY E-MAIL AT PERMITS@CITYOFSEBASTIAN.ORG. PAYMENTS CAN BE MADE ON-LINE OR DEPOSIT CHECKS AT DROP BOX LOCATION.
INSPECTIONS ARE NOW BEING CONDUCTED AS USUAL.
VIDEO INSPECTIONS ARE AVAILABLE FOR CERTAIN PERMIT TYPES.
CLICK THE LINKS BELOW FOR MORE INFORMATION ON E-MAIL PERMITS AND VIDEO INSPECTIONS.
Our mission and commitment is to effectively promote and provide professional plan review, permitting and inspection of building construction to ensure a safe built environment for all those who live and work in the City of Sebastian.
The Building Department and Fire Prevention Office, ensures compliance with all state and local codes to protect the health safety and welfare of our residents.
Our professional and courteous staff is available to assist you. Feel free to contact us with any questions about your construction project.
The Building Department / Fire Prevention Office provides the following services:
Perform plan reviews, issues building permits and perform inspections for all construction related activity including but not limited to:
- Commercial buildings
- Fire Systems
- Annual Life Safety Fire Inspections
- Single-family residence
- Electrical, Mechanical Gas and Plumbing
- Swimming pools
- Screen enclosures
- Storage sheds
- Water and Sewer connections to Utilities
- And any other construction related activity.
- Issuance of Land Clearing, Grubbing, Tree Removal, Driveway, Dewatering and Work in the Right of Way permits are processed through the Building Department.
- Contractor Licensing: All contractors who work in the city must be licensed and registered with the city. Contractors must provide licensure and proof of liability and workman’s compensation insurance or exemption.
- Business Tax Receipts are processed for businesses located within city limits.
The Florida Building Code 2017 6th Edition Effective Date is December 31st 2017.
Ultimate Wind Speeds obtained from Figures 1603 A,B,C of the Florida Building Code for Risk Categories I,II,III and IV using Exposure B,C or D will be applicable in accordance with the provisions set forth in section 1609.4 of the FBC.
By City Ordinance No. O-12-08, the adopted Ultimate Wind Speeds for Sebastian are: 150 mph for Risk Category I; 160 mph for Risk Category II; and 170 mph for Risk Category III and IV.
If you have any questions to the above wind speed requirements please contact the Building Department for clarification.