The City of Sebastian provides an excellent benefit package, including but not limited to:
- Medical Care with a HRA (Health Reimbursement Account)
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Dental Care (Base Plan or Buy-up Plan)
- Vision Care
- Life Insurance
- Pension either through the CWA (Union), ICMA (Exempt employees) Police
- ICMA Retirement Plan (457 and Roth)
- Sick, Vacation, Personal & Holiday Pay
- Uniforms and Equipment provided
- Tuition and Education Reimbursement
- Incentive Pay based on Education/Training
See the City of Sebastian’s Benefit Booklet for more information.
Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action
The City of Sebastian is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with anti-discrimination law, it is the purpose of this policy to effectuate these principles and mandates. The City of Sebastian prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. The City conforms to the spirit as well as to the letter of all applicable laws and regulations.
The policy of Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and anti-discrimination applies to all aspects of the relationship between The City of Sebastian and its employees, including
- Promotion, Transfer
- Working conditions
- Wages and salary administration
- Employee Benefits and application of policies
The policies and principles of EEO also apply to the section and treatment of independent contractors, personnel working on our premises who are employed by temporary agencies and any other persons or firms doing business for or with the City.
Dissemination and Implementation of Policy
The City Manager of the City of Sebastian will be responsible for the dissemination of the policy. Directors, managers and supervisors are responsible for implementing equal employment practices within each department. The HR department is responsible for overall compliance and will maintain personnel records in compliance with the applicable laws and regulations.
The City of Sebastian administers our EEO Policy fairly and consistently by:
- Posting all required notices regarding employee rights under EEO laws in areas highly visible to employees.
- Advertising for job openings with the statement “We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.”
- Posting all required job openings with the appropriate state agencies.
- Forbidding retaliation against any individual who files a charge of discrimination, opposes a practice believed to be unlawful discrimination, reports harassment, or assists, testifies or participates in an EEO agency proceeding.
- Requires employees to report to a member of management, an HR representative or the general counsel any apparent discrimination or harassment. The report should be made within 48 hours of the incident.
- Promptly notifies the general counsel of all incidents or reports of discrimination or harassment and takes other appropriate measures to resolve the situation.
Harassment is a form of unlawful discrimination and violates The City policy. Prohibited sexual harassment, for example, is defined as unwelcome sexual advances, request for sexual favors and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature when:
- Submission to such conduct is made either explicitly or implicitly a term or condition of an individual’s employment.
- Submission to or rejection of such conduct by an individual is used as the basis for employment decisions affecting such individuals.
- Such conduct has the purpose or effect of substantially interfering with an individual’s work performance or creating an intimidating, hostile or offensive working environment.
Harassment also includes unwelcome conduct that is based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age (40 or older), disability or genetic information. Harassment becomes unlawful where:
- Enduring the offensive conduct becomes a condition of continued employment, or
- The conduct is severe or pervasive enough to create a work environment that a reasonable person would consider intimidating, hostile, or abusive.
The City of Sebastian encourages employees to report all incidents of harassment to a member of management or the HR department. The City conducts harassment prevention training of all employees, and maintains and enforces a separate policy on harassment prevention, complaint procedures and penalties for violations. The City investigates all complaints of harassment promptly and fairly and, when appropriate, takes immediate corrective action to stop the harassment and prevent it from recurring.
Violation of this policy, regardless of whether an actual law has been violated, will not be tolerated. The City will promptly, thoroughly and fairly investigate every issue that is brought to its attention in this area and will take disciplinary action, when appropriate, up to and including termination of employment.
In accordance with Florida Law, veterans’ preference will be granted to eligible veterans, spouses of veterans and other veterans’ preference eligible persons. To be considered for veterans’ preference, applicants must complete and submit the City's Veterans' Preference Form and appropriate documentation.
The City’s Veterans’ Preference form is available on the website, or upon request by calling 772-388-8222 or emailing email@example.com.